Monday, May 16, 2011

Empath or Highly Sensitive?

I started thinking about how I first figured out that I was an HSP. It was from finding the term Empath, which eventually led me to Elaine Aron's book. It got me thinking if all HSP's were Empaths or if all Empaths were HSP's and what the difference really was?
I'm not expert on the definitions surrounding these two terms, but I am curious to find out more. Here's one link on being an empath. Is it that the term "empath" is really a more supernatural power than the more scientifically accepted, "Highly Sensitive Person." Or maybe it's not entirely common for an HSP to also be an empath? I know that empath (even though I hate putting different labels on every part of me) is a suitable description for how I feel around people. I suppose the reason I would be an empath is because I'm an HSP, which is really more a physical description for all the non-HSP's to explain things that us HSP's just accept without question.
Do I need someone to test my blood or DNA to know I'm an HSP? NO! It was merely a term that I can use to describe something I've subconsciously known my whole life.
Speaking of life, being either an HSP or empath, whichever you prefer, makes life a whole lot more difficult. I'm sure I mentioned before how I've recently started a new job. It has really drained me, not the work I have to do, just all the new stimulus. Particularly finding new ways to act and react around people. Honestly, working alone (even if it's a lot of work) is way less stressful than sitting in a meeting where I don't have to say a single thing. Just sit there with my heart pounding and my skin prickly.
This past weekend I went to a party for one of my coworkers who was getting married. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is an HSP and refused to go, although it gave me one less person to be attuned to. Luckily, it went smoothly, I'm sort of a sensation seeker, so I do enjoy a party now and then. But it turns into more than just the party, and the time before and after are occupied by my energies surrounding the event.
Last night was Sunday and all I felt like doing was running away. I realize in my head that I'm doing well, that I'm keeping my head above water. But I wonder how long I can sustain treading water. I don't blame my job or anyone else, it's simply the life of an HSP. Trying desperately to keep up with the fast pace of the American social norms. I dream often of running away into the mountains. Living in the woods and surviving in nature. To some that might seem horrendous or barbaric. But for me, honestly it seems far less worrisome than waking up and facing the expectations of a normal life.
Maybe I should tie that into being an empath? Well if anyone has a good book suggestions for dealing with being an empath, I'd really like to know.
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment