Thursday, February 24, 2011

No Special Treatment!

Just because I'm "highly-sensitive" doesn't mean I want to be treated any differently by the people around me. That's not really the purpose of this blog. In fact, I think that most highly-sensitive people would prefer to not even share the information for fear of exactly that. It's in our nature (in my opinion) to not want to go around sharing information about ourselves especially if the word "sensitive" is involved. God I hate the word "sensitive" it's probably worse than "shy."
Let me just take a moment to break down the word sensitive. This word should really be synonymous with words such as "intuitive," "highly aware," "attuned," you get the idea. I did some simple investigating of my own (admittedly Dictionary.com) and found these as the top two definitions:
1. endowed with sensation; having perception through the senses.
2. readily or excessively affected by external agencies or influences.

This doesn't seem to imply a weakness of character, but rather a keen sense of awareness. Why is it that this definition seems to reign over our minds instead: "
requiring tact or caution; delicate; touchy."
When someone calls us sensitive, we immediately assume that we're damaged in someway. Yet in the case of being "highly sensitive" it instead implies that we are attune to stimuli that others are less attuned to.
Here's a helpful example: a penguin in the cold, versus an alligator. Clearly the alligator is going to have a harder time functioning normally when he/she feels exposed to the elements. The penguin will wonder why the alligator isn't going about his/her business. They don't feel the cold like the alligator does. Catch my drift?
So back to the special treatment. The conundrum here is that while I secretly wish there was some kind of relief that was allotted to proven "sensitives" I would never in a million years feel deserving of it. I definitely think everyone is going through their own stresses and obstacles. Who am I to say that I need special treatment? I think what I've realized about this whole thing, is that I'm always going to have to be the one to give myself special treatment. I'm going to have to manage my own stresses and pressures by recognizing that I do need to rest or I'll break down completely.
Recently I've been in a week of slumpiness (my own word). I don't have any excuses as to why I've been completely lacking motivation. It might be a combination of job searching, working, and having friends over. It actually seems like whenever I even add slightly more to my usual routine, I sink into a vegetative mental coma and my body goes into auto-pilot. I really wish I could put my life on hold, but I can't, so I just have to ride it out until my next wave of energy strikes.
Here's what I have to keep reminding myself and I wonder if other sensitives need reminding like me. It's OK. I don't have to do anything. I can take this time to recoup. Today I managed to pay some bills that have been lying around on my kitchen table. I consider that a pretty good success. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in a state of deep depression, I just feel drained. The fact that I haven't gotten anything done might have brought me to a state of self-loathing before. But it's so liberating to know that I don't have to put myself through that anymore.
All I need is some good support from my loved ones, the ones that understand and don't criticize, and I'm good to go! So as for that special treatment, you don't need it. You can do what you aspire to, you can create, invent, and manifest anything in your life. Just be your own best friend and forgive yourself for some of the difficult parts about being hyper sensitive.


No comments:

Post a Comment